High Flow therapy provides a continuous flow of gas through a high flow nasal cannula or other interface. It is not intended for life support. Like the CPAP function in SIMV modes, there is no set Breath Rate and all breaths are spontaneous. The best resource for setting up and programming High Flow therapy is our Clinical and Technical Manual. A one-page summary of accessories and supplies to use with High Flow therapy is available here. A two-page summary of High Flow nasal cannula kit setup is available here.
High Flow therapy is available on VOCSN devices with compatible hardware and software versions 4.06 and later.
To check to see if your VOCSN can provide High Flow therapy:
- Check your software version by pressing the MENU tab, then MY VOCSN. Scroll down to “software” and verify that you have software 4.06R or later.
- If you’re running compatible software, you can check that your hardware will support High Flow therapy by looking at the “V” icon in the status bar. If it has a white background, your VOCSN has access to High Flow therapy. If it has a blue background, you will need hardware updates to unlock High Flow.
- If you do not have High Flow oxygen therapy and are interested in getting it, please fill out the form at VentecLife.com/supportrequest. One of our clinical specialists will contact you.
To set VOCSN controls for High Flow therapy:
- Press the THERAPY tab.
- Press the V icon for VENTILATION.
- Press a preset that is not currently active. If you only have one preset on your ventilation screen, enable another one:
- Press SETTINGS AND ALARMS
- Select a preset tab that is not labeled NOW ACTIVE.
- Press EDIT.
- Press Enabled.
- Press ACCEPT.
- Touch to highlight MODE.
- Select EDIT.
- Choose any SIMV mode, and then press ACCEPT.
- Scroll down and touch to highlight HIGH FLOW and then press EDIT.
- Toggle to ON and then press ACCEPT.
- Scroll down to PATIENT TYPE and select ADULT or PEDIATRIC, and then press ACCEPT.
- Touch to highlight FLOW and then press EDIT.
- When Patient Type is set to Adult, the Flow range is 15 to 60 L/min.
- When Patient Type is set to Pediatric, the Flow range is 4 to 25 L/min.
- Scroll down to alarms and set them according to your facility’s standards/protocols.
- To start Oxygen therapy, see “How Do I Start Oxygen Therapy?” Note that the VOCSN internal O2 Concentrator cannot be used to provide oxygen during High Flow therapy. Instead, use an external high- or low-pressure oxygen source.
To set up the patient circuit for High Flow therapy:
- Use only Valveless, Heated Ventec One-Circuits or circuits that have been validated by Fisher & Paykel to deliver High Flow therapy with VOCSN.
- Connect a High Flow nasal cannula to the Valveless circuit.