Apnea activates when VOCSN has not delivered assist or spontaneous breaths (or coughs) for the set Apnea alarm duration.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot this alarm:
- Ensure the Apnea alarm is set appropriately given the patient’s Breath Rate and spontaneous rate.
- Ensure the Flow Trigger control is set appropriately.
- Check the patient triggered icon and waveforms to determine if the patient is attempting to initiate breaths. (If the patient is not initiating breaths, the alarm is working as intended.)
- Check for problems with patient triggering, such as low drive due to medication, copious secretions, or excessive mask or cuff leak.
- For Active circuits, turn on Leak Compensation if needed.
- If the problem persists, replace the circuit.